Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Join EPS
EPS Historic Sites - Laboratorium Bergara

The discovery by the brothers Elhuyar of wolfram or tungsten in 1783 is the most famous contribution of Bergara and the Royal Basque Society of Friends of the Country to the 18th century physical sciences.

The Laboratorium is today a museum with a very nice collection of ancient scientific instruments, but its role goes beyond its permanent exhibition with many outreach activities to make this cultural and natural heritage well known in the country and abroad. The founding idea is that of a ‘Museum of Society’, whose main objective is to contribute to advancement and progress, based on the essential principles of innovation, science, heritage and education. It aims also to promote and disseminate the concepts of sustainable development and social innovation and encourage a scientific culture for the respect of the natural environment.

The Laboratorium offers in addition to its interactive collections also a visit to its beautiful garden of the 19th century with many botanical species from all continents. Last but not least the medieval city of Bergara itself is a historical jewel located in the hilly landscape between Bilbao and San Sebastian.

 

The discovery of tungsten and its numerous outstanding physical properties has been an important milestone in the development of modern science and technology. Today the properties of tungsten and of its related materials are part of many scientific studies and applications in modern science, such as those running also at the different research institutions of the Basque region.

The discovery of tungsten has been an important milestone in the development of modern science and technology.

 

 


More information

Laboratorium Bergara

 


© Laboratorium Bergara

Community Search
Sign In




EPS Privacy Notice