This was the start of the wireless era...
The Villa Griffone was declared EPS Historic site.
On 26 May 2013, a new EPS Historic Site was inaugurated in Pontecchio di Sasso Marconi, Bologna - Italy, the 6th since the beginning of this EPS initiative.
The site is "Villa Griffone", located on the hills nearby Bologna, a beautiful residence, which belonged to the Marconi family. The inauguration of this historic site is meant to pay a tribute to the very early experimental physics work of Guglielmo Marconi. Aged only 21, in 1895 he succeeded to establish the first long range electromagnetic wave communication between the loft of the Villa and a place out of sight behind a hill 2 km away, using a transmitter and receiver that he had personally made. This was the start of the wireless era.
Villa Griffone today is the venue of the Guglielmo Marconi Foundation and Marconi Museum.
The ceremony, which coincided with the closure of a popular annual festival on wireless communications, called "Marconi Radio Days", took place in the Aula Magna of Villa Griffone, in the presence of local authorities: the Mayor of Sasso Marconi, the Pro Vice Chancellor of the University of Bologna, and Councillors of the Province of Bologna and of the Region of Emilia-Romagna.
After the unveiling of the now traditional EPS Historic Site plaque by the President of the Marconi Foundation, Gabriele Falciasecca, and the Vice-President of the EPS, Luisa Cifarelli, a special lecture was delivered by former EPS President Antonino Zichichi.
- Guglielmo Marconi Foundation and Marconi Museum
President of the Marconi Foundation, Gabriele Falciasecca (left),
and the EPS Vice-President, Luisa Cifarelli (right),
unveiled the EPS Historic site plaque.