"Hoza 69" in the 30's
This site is of outstanding importance for Polish physics. Generations of Polish physicists were raised here and here a number of basic discoveries in various branches of experimental and theoretical physics were made.
The EPS Historic Sites programme of the European Physical Society commemorates places in Europe important for the development and the history of physics. Laboratories, buildings, institutions, universities, towns, etc. associated with an event, discovery, research or body of work, by one or more individuals, that made considerable contributions to physics at the national or European/international level, can be considered for the Historic Site distinction from the EPS.
The "Hoza 69" building in Warsaw, Poland, was the first EPS Historic Site declared by the EPS Selection Committee in the fall of 2011.
In the 1930s "Hoza 69" was a renowned centre for research on fluorescence where the Jabłonski diagram, a fundamental concept in molecular physics, was invented. Later it housed the laboratory where Marian Danysz and Jerzy Pniewski discovered the hypernucleus in 1952, then the double hypernucleus in 1962, with deep implications for nuclear and particle physics. This building hosts today both the Institute of Experimental Physics and the Institute of Theoretical Physics of the University of Warsaw.
A beautiful Historic Site Award ceremony took place on 10 January 2013. It consisted in the unveiling of two twin brass plaques, engraved with the logos of the European and Polish Physical Societies, the map of Europe, where the 41 nations whose national physical societies are members of the EPS are duly highlighted, and the Historic Site citation in Polish and English, respectively. These plaques, positioned in great evidence at the entrance of the building, are meant to honor the whole community of Polish physicists and to the founders and researchers of "Hoza 69", among others to Stefan Pienkowski, Leonard Sosnowski, Czesław Białobrzeski, Wojciech Rubinowicz and Leopold Infeld.