The French National Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics – IN2P3 – of the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS) and the French Atomic Energy and Alternative Energies Commission (CEA) invites applications for Director of the Heavy Ions Accelerator National Laboratory (Grand accélérateur national d'ions lourds – Ganil) in Caen.
Founded in 1975, Ganil is a joint CNRS and CEA laboratory. It operates several facilities, including Spiral to produce and study exotic nuclei. A growing part of Ganil activities involves interdisciplinary research on material science and radiobiology.
This year a new facility, Spiral2, will start operation and enlarge the scientific reach of Ganil, with the irradiation and neutron beam-line NFS and the S3 spectrometer in a near future. For the coming period of 5 years, starting in January 2017, the director is proposed by CNRS and CEA will propose a deputy director. The director and the deputy director will then be jointly appointed by the two organizations during a Ganil governing board meeting.
The future director of Ganil should have an outstanding scientific profile, experience in leadership positions in the domain of nuclear physics or related fields of research and a strong ambition for the laboratory. Applications for the position should be sent to Reynald Pain, IN2P3 director (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ursula Bassler, IN2P3 deputy director (email@example.com), before July 31 2016. The applicant should join a curriculum vitae and a letter of motivation in which he or she is invited to express his or her vision of the laboratory in 10 years from now, and lay out a plan of actions for the next five years. An appreciation of the place and role of the laboratory in the international landscape is expected.
It is further expected that the candidate will present his or her vision of:
- The internal organization and management of the laboratory (management team, research activities, construction and operation of the accelerators, hosting of experiments, experimental support, data management, nuclear safety …)
- The administration of the laboratory, its human and financial resources, the relation to the funding organizations as well as the committees and councils of the laboratory
- The interface and the collaboration with the neighboring laboratories and the regional scientific cluster
- The relation and the interactions with IN2P3 laboratories and CNRS and with the related services and institutes of CEA
- The collaboration with foreign laboratories and their possible implication in the development of Ganil
- La collaboration avec les laboratoires étrangers et leur possible implication dans le développement du Ganil
- More generally, the candidate should identify projects and activities, which should be primarily supported and developed in order to reinforce the position of Ganil as a world-class laboratory
The applicants will be preselected in view of an interview with the management of IN2P3 and of CEA, based on a short presentation (15’) followed by a discussion on the points mentioned above.