The complex and its associated area have been in use for more than four decades and have been marked by a number of milestones, among which:
- the first electron-positron collisions in the AdA collider (INFN Frascati);
- the pioneering use of synchrotron light in physics, chemistry and biology;
- one of the first free-electron lasers in the world.
The "Laboratoire de l’Accélérateur Linéaire” (LAL, CNRS-IN2P3 and Université Paris Sud) was born in 1956 primarily to host a state-of-the-art linear accelerator aiming at providing electron and positron beams of 1 GeV or more with high intensities. The machine operations started in the early 1960’s and lasted until its final shutdown in 2004. It is now the main piece of a "Museum about Light and Matter”. It is recognized as a ‘historic monument’ in France, visited by more than 1,000 people a year.
A detailed article will soon be published in the EPS newletter e-EPS.More info
LAL LUREEPS Historic Site LAL LURE