The scientific activities of EPS are organised through Divisions and Groups. These include topical conferences, seminars and workshops. Divisions and Groups also :
- provide independent expertise and advice upon request
- act as peer reviewers and referees
- propose, organise and support conferences in physics
- propose speakers for major EPS conferences
- serve on editorial boards of publications
- develop outreach activities for students and the general public
- support measures to help physicists in less favoured regions
- participate in, and profit from, EPS initiatives.
The Divisions and Groups are governed by boards elected from members. Some Divisions have Sections representing focussed interests.